How-to: Summer Styling Tips for Straight Hair
In theory, summer is the best season for letting your hair down. But, if you have (or want to rock) super straight hair you’re probably looking at more of a let down instead. The season’s heat and humidity can cause your hair to frizz and your scalp to sweat which when combined, have a tendency to make straight hair look simultaneously dirty, flat and frizzy. That and there’s all that extra exposure to the sun, salt, and pool which makes your hair look dry, unhealthy and dull. It can be a real nightmare. Lucky for you, our loyal OUAI-baes, with the right products in your arsenal, and a handful of pro tips like the ones below, you can have perfectly sleek, straight hair all summer. Seriously. Here’s how;
It’s all in the prep
- Use Volume Shampoo at the roots, and Smooth Shampoo at the ends then follow with conditioner only on your ends. Comb out tangles with a wide tooth comb in the shower while your conditioner is working to avoid unnecessary breakage.
- Use Soft Mousse on damp hair to control frizz and add volume where you need it. Mousse isn’t just for curly hair anymore!
- To prevent frizz, wait until your hair is 90% hair dried before you blow dry, using a round brush near your crown for added lift.
Your brush is your bff
- For that trendy smooth & sleek look, pass through each strand with a brush THEN your flat iron.
- After you’ve straightened your hair, spray a bristle brush with Soft Hair Spray and brush through. This will add hold and keep frizz at bay.
- Brushing your hair also helps to distribute the oils from your scalp throughout your hair so it doesn’t look greasy or sweat, so bring your boar bristle brush with you and repeat throughout the day as needed.
Dry Shampoo + Hair Oil FTW
- Dry Shampoo is the new hair spray, and in our opinion shouldn’t be saved only for dirty hair. If you need a punch of volume midday, reach for your Dry Shampoo instead of trying to backcomb or adding more, heavier products. Dry Shampoo is light, adds grit and soaks up oils and sweat as they happen.
- There’s a reason our new Rose Hair & Body Oil is the must-have product of summer. Carry the chic af bottle in your purse and use it to moisturize dry strands (and skin) throughout the day. It’ll keep your hair shiny and sleek without looking greasy and make you smell like you own a yacht.