Nothing says fourth of July long weekend like fireworks, patriotic bikinis and barely-there updos, right? Ok maybe that’s just us but, we know how it is for all you girls with long hair. You want your hair to look and smell good all weekend without having to put too much effort into it, or worse - looking like you put too much effort into it. As with everything OUAI-girl, we want styling your hair to be easy, effortless and glam af. Whether your plans are to hit the beach, chill out by the BBQ or go out all day and night, these easy updos are sure to be a hit:
A Center Parted, Casual Topknot
Follow Kendall’s Cannes example and add a center part to your casual topknot. If she can wear it on the red carpet in the south of France, it’s good enough for all your long weekend plans.
- Prep damp hair with Soft Mousse and create a center part with the pointed end of a comb.
- Use a Dyson hairdryer and your fingers to rough dry the roots. Once the roots are dry, brush through mid-shaft to ends with a Mason Pearson brush. For added hold, spray a generous amount of OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray.
- Split the hair horizontally into a top and bottom section.
- Pull the top section into a high, top of the head ponytail and secure with a hair bungee.
- Next, use a Mason Pearson or similar brush to brush the bottom section to the top and secure with a BLAX hair elastic.
- Once the hair is secure, apply OUAI Hair Oil to the ponytail, split the pony into two sections, tie the hair into a knot, and secure with french hair pins. Take the remaining ends and wrap into the knotted bun and secured once again with french hair pins.
- When the bun is secure, detail pieces with your fingers, pulling out strands at the nape of the neck.
- Finish the look with OUAI Dry Shampoo for a sleek yet messy finish!
An All-American Classic, the Ponytail Braid
Hot hot days call for do’s that don’t move or show sweat and oil. What’s more foolproof (& sexy) than a ponytail braid? Also - rope braids are just as sleek if you need a change!
- Brush all your hair back into a high ponytail and secure with an bungee elastic.
- If you want, hide your elastic by wrapping a small piece of hair from your ponytail around the elastic and secure it underneath with a bobby pin.
- Spray some OUAI Dry Shampoo onto your ponytail to add grit before you braid. If you’re doing a rope braid, split your pony into two and twist each section to the right the Cross the right section of hair over the left section to form the twist
- Secure braid or rope twist with a clear Blax elastic.
- Finish by smoothing flyaways with OUAI Medium Hair Spray on a toothbrush then by adding gloss throughout with our Rose Hair & Body Oil.
The ‘Bikini All Day’ Cool-Girl Ditzy Ponytail
- Use hands to gather hair into a super high ponytail.
- Secure with an elastic at the top of the head and pull to tighten.
- Spray OUAI Dry Shampoo throughout the ponytail.
- Lift up the ponytail then use a brush to ‘french lace’ the hair down for lots of body.
- Shake the hair up and you’re good to go! You can pull down a few front pieces for an LA-girl vibe.
(Watch the how-to video, here)
The Half Up Twisted Bun
We always come back to this look because it a. easy. and b. easy to customize. Just add french braid, Chloe & Isabel bun cuff or even leave the bun down as a ponytail and you have a whole new look.
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Soft Mousse for volume and body then flip upside down and rough dry with Dyson Supersonic dryer.
- Divide hair into two sections, the top on should start just above your ears and angle up towards the back. Backcomb top section slightly before securing it into a ponytail with a clear elastic.
- To add volume to your ponytail before you create your bun, spray ponytail with OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray and backcomb with a boar bristle brush.
- Twist and knot hair to create bun. Secure with bobby pins or french pins.
- Add some bends with a curling iron or flatiron into the bottom section if you need, nothing too overdone. Finish with OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray all over for hold.